Union election winner disqualified

first_imgA candidate elected to the Oxford Union’s Secretary’s Committee has been found guilty of electoral malpractice and stripped of his position.Musty Kamal – who received the most votes in last month’s Secretary’s Committee election – has now been disqualified retrospectively, after a Union tribunal found him guilty of electoral malpractice.Kamal was found to have breached Rule 33(a)(i) by making an “illicit statement” – one that is “untrue or misleading” and is intended to influence the course of the election.However, the verdict has provoked controversy. One student present at the tribunal, Stephen Osuobeni, told Cherwell it was “discouraging that a fresher could be strong-armed by a senior committee member in this way”.Kamal had claimed to champion a more inclusive Union. He finished first in the Secretary’s Committee election of 24th November, beating nearest rival Eric Sukumaran by 40 votes.A copy of the ruling on the Oxford Union noticeboard.But an election tribunal was summoned soon after the close of the poll to hear an allegation of electoral malpractice submitted by Charles Wang, a successful Standing Committee candidate.The tribunal – chaired by Michaelmas 1999 President Ben Seifert – met on Saturday evening, and unanimously found Kamal guilty of making an “illicit statement”.An Oxford Union spokesperson confirmed to Cherwell that the statement in question was Kamal’s manifesto claim that he was running as an “independent” candidate.Screenshots of posts made by Redha Rubaie – unsuccessful candidate for Treasurer – asking people to vote for Kamal, were reportedly brought as evidence.It is not believed that any evidence was produced showing that Kamal had asked Rubaie to make said posts.The Society’s rules state that the standard of proof required for a conviction “shall be that the Tribunal is satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt of the defendant’s guilt”, necessitating “an unanimous vote”.Kamal told Cherwell: “This was an election of firsts. I believe that I was the first non-MBA Secretary’s Committee candidate to get as many as 153 votes. This was a higher number of votes than many candidates on Standing Committee. I was also the only candidate to mention inclusivity on my manifesto.“It is not inconceivable that had my campaign not been so successful, it would not have attracted so much attention nor a tribunal.“The idea of inclusivity was able to muster 153 people to vote for a candidate that wants everyone to be represented, everyone rather than the closed off elite it is often criticised for protecting.“This effort by people within the Union to discredit my message will deter people who want to run independently on a platform of inclusivity in the future.”The Oxford Union has stated that a full report on the ruling will be available shortly to all members.last_img read more

Read More

Cricket News ICC World Cup 2019: Last chance to grab your tickets; Know how to book seats

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: The public ballot for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup in England and Wales which was opened on August 1 for the fans for ticket requests is set to close on Wednesday (29 August). The ticket applications are available for all 48 fixtures of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup. The public ballot which went live on 1 August will shut on August 29 with fans being able to apply for tickets for all matches between the campaign opener on May 30 and the final, which will be played at the iconic Lord’s, on 14 July.ALSO READ: Eng vs Ind 4th Test Preview: Virat Kohli looks to conquer SouthamptonAny tickets that will go unsold from the public ballot will go for the general sale on a first-come, first-served basis later in 2018.Hosts England play the opener at the Oval on May 30 against South Africa, while the defending champions Australia lock horns with Afghanistan in Bristol on June 1. Whereas, India will face arch-rivals Pakistan at Old Trafford on June 16.The World Cup final will take place at Lord’s on 14 July.ALSO READ: Asian Games 2018, Day 11 LIVEHere is the how you can register for the Public Ballot for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup:Register on the Official CWC19 Ticket Website.Log in and click the ‘My Application’ tab to plan your CWC19 trip.‘Create My Application’ tab will give you the details of all 48 matches.Select the matches and number of tickets you want.Confirm your ticketing order.last_img read more

Read More

Amid pandemic, Trump administration asks Supreme Court to overturn Obamacare

first_imgJPecha/iStockBy DEVIN DWYER, ABC News(WASHINGTON) — In the midst of a pandemic and without an alternative health plan of its own, the Trump administration formally called on the U.S. Supreme Court to completely strike down the Affordable Care Act.The administration makes the case in a legal brief filed Thursday in the case brought by 20 Republican-led states that want to completely invalidate the law. The justices will hear oral arguments as soon as October, which is just weeks before the general election.Two lower federal courts have ruled that the ACA’s individual mandate is unconstitutional after the GOP Congress in 2017 zeroed out the penalty for going without health insurance. Both courts called into question the viability of the entire law without the mandate.“The individual mandate cannot be severed from the remainder of the ACA,” writes Trump solicitor general Noel Francisco. “The entire ACA thus must fall with the individual mandate.”California and 19 other Democrat-led states are defending the law.Former Vice President Joe Biden defended Obamacare Thursday at a campaign stop focused on health care, saying doing away with the ACA during a pandemic could be particularly harmful to many that need health care the most.“I think it’s cruel. It’s heartless. It’s callous. And it’s all because, in my view, he can’t abide the thought of letting stand on one of President Obama’s greatest achievements, the Affordable Care Act,” Biden said of the administrations’ lawsuit.Biden warned those who have survived COVID-19 and have subsequent health issues could be especially at-risk.“They would live their lives caught in a vise between Donald Trump’s twin legacies: his failure to protect the American people from the coronavirus and his heartless crusade to take health care protections away from American families,” Biden said.The ACA has sharply reduced the number of uninsured Americans since 2010, covering 20 million more people than if the law had not taken effect, according to the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation.Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi issued a statement late Thursday night, calling the Trump administration’s decision “unfathomably cruelty” to “rip away the protections and benefits of the Affordable Care Act in the middle of the coronavirus crisis.”“There is no legal justification and no moral excuse for the Trump Administration’s disastrous efforts to take away Americans’ health care,” she said.Industry groups and independent health care analysts say abruptly wiping out Obamacare would mean a highly disruptive shift in the health care of millions of Americans.An estimated 52 million Americans have preexisting health conditions that insurers could have denied coverage to under pre-ACA rules in most states, the foundation said.Preexisting condition protections and Obamacare insurance subsidies remain in place, for now, as the case continues, but could be at risk.The case marks the third time the justices will consider the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act since it was signed by President Barack Obama in 2010. Chief Justice John Roberts in 2012 famously cast the decisive vote, siding with the court’s liberal justices to uphold the law. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More