U.S. plans inadequate for 1918-type pandemic

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 “But I have to be clear that I don’t think any public health agency I know of is adequately prepared … because there is not a vaccine available yet to provide to the public.” Other local health officials concur that in a pandemic, the number of sick people would quickly exceed hospitals’ capacity to care for them. Dr. Brian Johnston, a member of the board of trustees of the California Medical Association and former president of the Los Angeles County Medical Association, said there is no question that both public and private health care systems are inadequate to respond to a flu pandemic. “Presently, we have a hard time just dealing with Friday and Saturday nights,” Johnston said. “Our emergency rooms are jammed, patients wait hours to get into the ER and days to go from the ER to a bed upstairs in our hospitals. That has been true for several years.” So far, there have been about two dozen suspected cases of Avian flu in California, but tests have come up negative on all of them. But in December, the World Health Organization warned that the current bird flu could mutate and trigger a worldwide outbreak that could kill up to 7 million people and infect billions more. Researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have estimated that a pandemic could kill up to 207,000 people and sicken an additional 20 million to 47 million in the United States. In comparison, about 5 percent to 20 percent of the U.S. population is infected each year with more common strains of flu, which kill about 36,000 people, including 1,000 to 1,500 in Los Angeles County. World Health Organization officials said they couldn’t predict when such a pandemic might occur, but recently reported increasing numbers of human avian flu cases in Southeast Asia. Although no vaccine is available yet, an inactivated human vaccine is undergoing human clinical trials in the United States. “Unfortunately, there is no vaccine available now at any price,” said Howard Backer, interim state public health officer. “They are developing prototypes and experimental vaccines. It sounds to me, from recent pronouncements, that they are increasing the development of various types of vaccines and will stockpile some of these. California will get its population-based share.” Fielding said the most potentially effective antiviral drug is Tamiflu and the U.S. government aims to buy a large amount but, he added, there are order backlogs, and some nations have been placed on two-year waiting lists. The United States has about 2 million doses in its national stockpiles and expects to have 6 million shortly, Backer said. The nation has ordered a total of 20 million doses. “There is nowhere near enough to reach a significant percentage of the population,” Fielding said. “There would be prioritization.” Troy Anderson, (213) 974-8985 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Unsettled by the possibility of a global influenza pandemic, California and Los Angeles County health experts have prepared plans to deal with a potential outbreak, officials said Wednesday. Plans include coordinating with federal agencies to receive and distribute antiviral drugs and other medicines; increasing poultry and human surveillance; and expediting testing of suspected cases to try to keep any outbreak in check, officials said. Still, Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding, the county’s health officer, warned that none of the nation’s health systems is adequately prepared for an outbreak. “We have a whole pandemic flu plan and meet every two or three weeks,” Fielding said. “We’ve looked at the capacity of hospitals and tried to understand what kind of surge capacity exists. last_img read more

Read More

Beckham legal action to spice up UK courts

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Spearman said the defense would argue that suggestion was true and would question the state of the celebrity marriage. The trial was to start Dec. 5 and was expected to take two weeks. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! David Beckham and his wife, former Spice Girl Victoria, are taking legal action against a British tabloid that claimed their “happy marriage” is a sham. Beckham, the world’s most recognized soccer player, and his wife, the former Posh Spice, are seeking libel damages against the News of the World newspaper over an article that carried the headline: “Posh and Becks on the Rocks.” The case will be heard before a judge and jury at London’s Law Courts in December. During a pretrial hearing Monday, the couple’s lawyer, Hugh Tomlinson, said the Beckhams would argue they had been defamed by the newspaper and that there was no truth in the story alleging the pair were maintaining a false image of a happy marriage to protect their financial interests. Richard Spearman, a lawyer for the newspaper’s publishers, News Group Newspapers, said the article suggested that because the Beckhams’ “substantial fortunes depend upon their public perception, the claimants have been cynically and hypocritically trying, for financial reasons, to convince the public that they continue to enjoy a happy marriage.” last_img read more

Read More