Outrage grows over ‘disburbing’ video showing New York police ripping baby from mother’s arms

first_imgtzahiV/iStock(NEW YORK) — New York City police officers are coming under fire after a “troubling” video surfaced showing them ripping a baby from the arms of a mother who had waited at a social services office for four hours seeking help, police and the woman’s relatives said.Jazmine Headley, 23, was arrested on charges of resisting arrest, committing an act in a manner injurious to a child, criminal trespass and obstruction of governmental administration, according to the NYPD.A judge also issued a restraining order against her barring her from coming near her baby.Headley was booked into the Rikers Island jail pending a court hearing on Thursday.“The video, obviously, is disturbing. It’s very disturbing to me,” Commissioner James O’Neill of the New York Police Department said Monday afternoon. “I’m a dad. I have two kids. But being a cop is a really difficult job.”O’Neill said an investigation of the incident has been launched by the NYPD and Steven Banks, commissioner of the city Human Resources Administration.“We’re trying to get as much video as we can,” O’Neill said. “We’ve got to see what led up to the incident. What were the actions of the people from HRA? What were the actions of our police officers?“We do get called to HRA facilities now and again,” he said. “We have to figure out the protocols and work with HRA to figure out a better way to do things.”Headley’s mother, who witnessed the arrest, claims city Human Resources Administration security guards and police officers were in the wrong and responsible for letting the incident escalate into pandemonium.“I was devastated to see something like that happen to my daughter and grandson,” Headley’s mother, Jacqueline Jenkins, told ABC New York station WABC-TV.The office was crowded and there were no seats available when she and her Headley arrived, Jenkins said. She said her daughter sat on the floor with her 1-year-old son, Damone, to keep him calm.Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, a former New York City police captain, said at a news conference Monday outside the social services office that the “horrific” incident should have never happened.“We are better than the images we witnessed over the weekend,” Adams, a former New York City police captain, said. “This should be a place where families come to regain their dignity and respect instead of having it ripped from them.”He demanded a full investigation by the NYPD and that all charges be immediately dropped against Headley.“Something’s terribly wrong when the most well-trained police department can’t resolve a dispute with a mother and child without looking like the President’s southern border strategy. We must do better,” Adams said, referring to the Trump administration’s practice of separating children from parents caught illegally crossing the border.City Council Speaker Corey Johnson said in a tweet that the video as heartbreaking and “hard to watch.”“This is unacceptable, appalling …,” he wrote. “I’d like to understand what transpired and how these officers or the NYPD justifies this.”NYPD officials said in a statement that they were called to the city Human Resources Administration office in Brooklyn just before 1 p.m. on Friday.“The NYPD was called after office staff and HRA peace officers made unsuccessful attempts to remove this individual from the facility due to her disorderly conduct towards others, and for obstructing a hallway,” police said in a statement.Lisa Schreibersdorf, executive director of Brooklyn Defender Services, said her office has assigned an attorney to represent Headley. She said the woman went to the social services office to determine why daycare vouchers for her child were suddenly cut off.She said Headley took a day off from her job as a security guard in hopes or resolving the daycare problems. She said Headley had been waiting at the office for four hours before the police were called on her.“When people come to this office, they are here because they are in crisis,” Schreibersdorf said. “Instead, they escalated the situation by bringing the police department in.”Both Adams and Schreibersdorf said the incident could have been avoided had officials at the office just went and found a chair for Headley or spoke to her calmly.Jenkins said the HRA guards told her daughter she could not sit on the floor because she was blocking a hallway. When she refused to stand, a supervisor called the police, she said.A cellphone video taken by Nyasia Ferguson, one of several taken by people who were also waiting at the office, shows at least three NYPD officers, including a sergeant, on top of Headley, who refused to let her child go.“They’re hurting my son! They’re hurting my son!” Headley is heard screaming in the video.One officer appeared to grab Damone and yank hard several times in an attempt to remove him from Headley’s arms. A crowd of people gathered around the officers yelling for them to stop and attempting to explain that Headley had not been bothering anyone.At one point, an officer is seen in the video pulling out a stun gun and appearing to point it at the crowd, ordering people to step back. The officer also appeared to point the stun gun at Headley, but it was never deployed, the video shows.“I was just disgusted and scared,” Ferguson told WABC. “I thought the cops [are] supposed to help you — they just straight up came and attacked the lady.”Police were eventually able to wrest the baby away and place Headley under arrest. The city Administration for Child Protective Services was initially called in to take custody of the child, who was later turned over to Jenkins.The NYPD called the incident “troubling” and said the encounter was “under review.” The statement said the review will include all available video that captured the incident.The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office was also conducting an investigation of the incident. A spokesperson for the district attorney said prosecutors do not plan to proceed with the charges against Headley.Headly was being held on an unrelated warrant from Mercer County, New Jersey, Schreibersdorf said.The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office said it was reaching out to New Jersey authorities on behalf of Headley “to expedite her release.”Police officials said the HRA guards were the ones who initially took Headly to the floor when she refused to leave.“NYPD officers then attempted to place her under arrest. She refused to comply with officers’ orders, and was then taken into custody,” according to the NYPD statement.Police said no one was hurt in the confrontation.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More

Trey Anastasio Band Announces Brief Fall Tour Including L.A. Halloween Show

first_imgFresh off Phish‘s immensely successful Baker’s Dozen residency at Madison Square Garden, guitarist Trey Anastasio has announced a run of fall dates with his solo project, Trey Anastasio Band. According to the announcement on Trey’s website, the band will play six shows in Nevada and California, including a two-night run at Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas on October 27th and 28th, a show at The Observatory OC in Santa Ana, CA on November 1st, and a second two-night stand at Oakland’s Fox Theater as well as a Halloween Night performance at The Wiltern in Los Angeles. Phish has already announced that they will not be touring this Fall.Tickets will be available through a real-time pre-sale beginning Wednesday, August 16th at 12pm PT and ending Wednesday, August 23rd at http://treytickets.shop.ticketstoday.com.Public on sale begins Friday, August 25th at 10am/11am/12pm PT. Tickets can be purchased online at trey.com/tour.Trey Anastasio Band Fall 2017 Tour Dates:10/27-28 – Las Vegas, NV – Brooklyn Bowl (on sale 8/25 at 12pm PT)10/31  – Los Angeles, CA – The Wiltern (on sale 8/25 at 10am PT)11/1 – Santa Ana, CA – The Observatory OC (on sale 8/25 at 11am PT)11/3-4 – Oakland, CA – Fox Theater (on sale 8/25 at 11am PT)[Cover photo via Brad Hodge]last_img read more

Read More

PH starts VFA termination: Locsin hails Duterte’s threats to end military deal with…

first_img“Karonsi Bato di nila paadtuon saAmerica. I (am) warning you this is the first time, pag hindi ninyo ginawa ang correction diyan, one, I will terminate the bases Visiting Forces Agreement. Tapusin ko ‘yang putangina,” Dutertesaid. President Duterte earlier issued awarning that he will not think twice to cancel the agreement if the US will notcorrect the matter involving Dela Rosa’s US visa. MANILA – The process for the terminationof the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the Philippines and the UnitedStates has commenced, Malacañang announced Friday. “I think the US should be concernedabout this decision of the President because its strongest ally in the regionreacting against it,” he further said./PN The US and the Philippines also inkedthe VFA and Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), which allows greaterUS troops’ access to Philippine bases and presence in the country. The Philippine government started the process of terminating its Visiting Forces Agreement with the United States upon the orders of President Rodrigo Duterte, who wanted to end the military deal after Washington canceled the visa of his former police chief, Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa. ABS-CBN NEWS The Philippines and the US are treatyallies, having signed the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty that obliges Americantroops to help defend the Philippines if it comes under attack. He added the Palace will no longer waitfor Washington’s response on Duterte’s warning to reverse the cancellation of Sen.Ronald dela Rosa’s US visa within a month. Department of Foreign Affairs SecretaryTeodoro Locsin also ordered Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana to start thetermination process. “US Ambassador Sung Kim have sought ameeting with Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to discuss the impendingtermination of VFA,” Panelo said. “I am giving notice and they begin tocount. I am giving government and the American government one month from now, mag estorya me, pahawaon ko sila sa ilang Visiting Forces Agreement,” he added. Panelo, meanwhile, explained thatPresident Duterte can scrap the VFA even without the approval of theSenate.  “Can you imagine they have the gall totell us what to do with our citizens. Eh,sobra na ‘yan kaya galit si Presidente,” he added. An attack against Philippine armedforces, public vessels or aircraft falls under its obligations in the treaty. “Because it (VFA) is an executiveagreement so he can cancel it without the approval of the Senate,” Panelo saidin an interview in Bacolod City on Friday. President Rodrigo Duterte made theorder, a day after making a threat in his speech in Leyte. “The process for terminating thesame has started. The President feels that we cannot sit down idly,” PresidentialSpokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a media briefing at the MalacañangPalace. last_img read more

Read More

Oliseh better than Mikel — Aiyegbeni

first_imgRelatedPosts Super Eagles soar on FIFA ranking FIFA ranking: Nigeria moves up by two spots, now world 29th Omeruo welcomes second child Former Super Eagles’ striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, has rated Sunday Oliseh as a better midfielder ahead of John Obi Mikel.Aiyegbeni made this assertion in a radio phone-in programme on Wednesday.According to him, Mikel won more laurels at club level, but cannot be compared with Oliseh in all areas of the game.“No doubt, they are good players and have achieved so much with the national teams and their clubsides. Mikel is ahead in terms of laurels but Oliseh is the better player,” he pointed out.The South Africa 2010 FIFA World Cup star went ahead to pick Taribo West as the toughest defender he ever played against in the national team.“Taribo was a no nonsense defender. I was not comfortable playing against him in training or match situation. He will kick you and still won’t say sorry. Taribo’s style of play gave a lot of us confidence. He gave his all for the country,” he said.Aiyegbeni, however, named Vincent Enyeama, Joseph Yobo, Celestine Babayaro, Chidi Odiah, Taribo West, Sunday Oliseh, Kanu Nwankwo, Finidi George, Tijani Babangida, Austin Okocha and himself, Aiyegbeni, as the best ever Super Eagles XI. Tags: FOOTBALLJohn Mikel ObiSunday OlisehSuper EaglesYakubu Aiyegbenilast_img read more

Read More