Blaze displaces several

first_img The occupants all inhaled smoke but were not hurt, Boyd said. Her father, who suffers from congestive heart failure and diabetes, sat in an ambulance until paramedics were sure he was all right. Her youngest son, age 10, was upset, Boyd said. “He was just crying and holding on to his doggie,” she said. The fire damage seemed confined to the bedroom, but smoke damage was heavy throughout the house and the heat was intense enough to melt plastic objects in rooms that didn’t catch fire. Among the damaged furniture was a new pool table and a flat-screen television bought for Christmas. “Everything’s gone,” Boyd said, tears coming to her eyes. “I don’t have a lot of money. I have children. I have my daddy. I have my foster kids. All my dad’s medicine is gone.” Boyd rented three rooms at Motel 6 on Thursday night and was visiting relief agencies Friday looking for help. Boyd’s father has lived in the house for 16 years and she moved in after his health worsened, she said. They rent the house, but were arranging a loan to buy and had expected to sign documents next week. They have no insurance on their belongings, she said. Anyone interested in helping the family can contact Boyd through her sister Dorene Goldman at (661) 209-4034. Charles Bostwick, (661) 267-5742 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake Fire officials estimated damage at about $80,000 to the house, which sits on an acre on Avenue R in Palmdale. Boyd said she was asleep when her children awakened her and told her their grandfather’s room was on fire. Her sister Shannon Reid and friend Michael Davis grabbed garden hoses and fought the flames until firefighters arrived. “It was just flaming up,” Davis said. All the occupants got out safely: Boyd, her sister, their father, Davis, Boyd’s three children and two teens she has taken in, and an invalid man and a woman she cares for. They had to carry the invalid man out. The family dog also got out. “The neighbors came to my help. They came out running in slippers, socks,” she said. PALMDALE – Nearly a dozen people were left homeless after a late-night house fire blamed on a portable electric heater under a bed in an elderly man’s bedroom. Samuel Goldman, 73, escaped unharmed only because he had awakened to get a glass of water before the fire started, his daughters said. “God saved him,” daughter Amy Boyd said Friday morning, standing outside the fire-blackened Spanish-style house. “Everybody’s safe, by the grace of God. I lost everything, though.” Firefighters said flames were coming from the roof when they pulled up just after 10 p.m. Thursday. It took them 25 minutes to knock down the fire, and one firefighter burned his hand battling the blaze. He was treated at a hospital and sent home. last_img read more

Read More