Royal pardon for Internet user, condemned to three years of jail for creating spoof Facebook profile for prince

first_img RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance Organisation March 19, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Royal pardon for Internet user, condemned to three years of jail for creating spoof Facebook profile for prince News RSF_en Receive email alerts April 28, 2021 Find out more to go further June 8, 2021 Find out more News Newscenter_img Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa News Help by sharing this information Hunger strike is last resort for some imprisoned Moroccan journalists Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders welcomes Fouad Mourtada’s release after receiving a royal pardon yesterday for Aid Mawlid Nabaoui, the holiday marking the birth of the Prophet Mohammed. Mourtada’s had been serving a three-year jail sentence for “usurping the identity” of King Mohammed’s brother, Prince Moulay Rachid, by creating a “false profile” in his name on the social-networking website Facebook. “This is a great relief,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Mourtada will be able to spend this holiday with his family tomorrow after 43 days in prison. Nonetheless, we regret that his release is the result of a royal pardon rather than a fair verdict and sentence. Moroccan bloggers will not be able to forget his imprisonment when they compose their blog entries.” Mourtada’s conviction on 22 February had raised a great deal of concern in the Moroccan blogosphere. He was arrested at his home on 5 February.———————26.02 – Moroccan bloggers worried after “disproportionate” three-year jail term for Internet user who created spoof Facebook profileReporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the three-year prison sentence which a Casablanca court imposed on 27-year-old Internet user Fouad Mourtada on 22 February for “usurping the identity” of King Mohammed’s brother, Prince Moulay Rachid, by creating a “false profile” in his name on the social-networking website Facebook.“This is the first time a Moroccan has been convicted for an online offence and Mourtada was the victim of a summary trial,” the press freedom organisation said. “We are worried about the effect on freedom of expression on the Moroccan Internet as all of the country’s bloggers will feel targeted. This disproportionate sentence has shocked the Moroccan blogger community, which is one of the biggest in the region. A popular and well respected blogger already decided to stop blogging out of fear for his safety after what happened to Fuad Mourtada.”Plain-clothes police arrested Mourtada at his home on 5 February and held him incommunicado for 36 hours before transferring him to Casablanca’s Oukacha prison the next day.Reporters Without Borders wonders how the police identified Mourtada. “Did the police get his computer’s IP address? And if so, how? We have asked the ISP, Maroc Telecom, in which the French company Vivendi is a shareholder, to provide us with the relevant information.”When he saw his family on 12 February, he told them: “I did indeed create this account on 15 January. It remained online for several days until someone closed it down. There are so many celebrity profiles on Facebook. I never thought that by creating a profile of His Royal Highness Prince Moulay Rachid that I was doing him any harm. Also, I did not send anyone a message from this account. It was just a joke (…) I am not a criminal.”With around 4 million Internet users, the Moroccan blogosphere is one of the most active in all of the Maghreb.Call for Mourtada’s release NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Follow the news on Morocco / Western Sahara April 15, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More

Lacson defends anti-terror bill from critics

first_img“Suspects’ families will be givenvisitation rights, while visits of legal counsels will be unlimited,” Lacsonsaid. Lacson also explained that the removalof a P500,000 fine for each day a person is wrongfully detained was to notdiscourage the law enforcers from filing serious charges like terrorism. “Even the Armed Forces of thePhilippines are hesitant to file charges using the Human Security Act kasi takot sila pagka na-dismiss ang kaso pamultahin sila ng P500,000 perday of detention,” Lacson said. “Even in the Marawi siege, hindi sila nag-file ng cases in violation of the Human Security Act… Kaya naging virtual dead letter law ang RA 9732. Hindi mai-apply,” added the senator./PN Authorities who will conduct warrantlessarrests need to notify the Court of Appeals, and inform the Commission on HumanRights and a judge who is “nearest the place of arrest” before conductingthe apprehension, he said. The Senate’s approved version of theAnti-Terrorism Act increased the period of detention by nearly 10 fold to 14days from 36 hours to “be at par with other countries,” according toLacson. MANILA – Contrary to the fears of some,Sen. Panfilo Lacson said the newly passed anti-terror bill that allows thewarrantless arrest and two-week detention of suspected terrorists has enoughsafeguards against abuse. “Naiwanantayo ng ibang countries, European, western countries at saka ating neighboring countries dito,” Lacson said. “Ang iniiwasan natin is to make thePhilippines a safe haven for terrorist kasinapakagaan ng ating batas, napakahina.” Lacson said in a media briefing thatthere is legal procedure to be followed, unlike what is being raised byopposition senators Francis Pangilinan and Risa Hontiveros, whom he saidearlier that the measure may be used to silence administration critics. “Lahatnaman may legal procedures nasusundin… Naroon lahat ngsafeguards,” Lacson said. Under the measure that was passed by theSenate, suspected terrorists may only be arrested when the crime “has justbeen committed, about to be committed or [is] being committed,” thesenator said.last_img read more

Read More

Lakers free agency rumors: L.A. planning workouts for Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah

first_imgThe Lakers are looking to add some depth to fill the void left by DeMarcus Cousins, who tore his ACL.According to ESPN, which cited unidentified sources, the team is planning to hold individual workouts to evaluate centers Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah and Mo Speights this week in Los Angeles. After a strong start to his career, Howard has fizzled in recent seasons due to injuries as well as rumored feuds with his teammates. He previously played for the Lakers in 2012-13 and said last month he was open to returning to Los Angeles.“It just wasn’t the right fit for me at the time,” Howard told the Los Angeles Times. “But the Lakers have been doing something right for a long time because they have the most fans in the world and the most championships over the past 40 years. You’re not going to win a championship every year, but they’re back and will compete for a championship next season.”Howard, 33, was limited to just nine games with the Wizards last season, but the eight-time All-Star averaged 16.6 points and 12.5 rebounds with the Hornets in 2017-18. Former Cavaliers coach David Blatt diagnosed with multiple sclerosis Stephen Curry sponsoring new golf program at Howard University Howard was dealt from the Wizards to the Grizzlies in early July. Memphis is expected to waive Howard, which would make him a free agent, and the team has reportedly already given the Lakers permission to speak with him. Marcin Gortat is also being considered, though he is playing overseas.The report noted the Lakers want to evaluate the “physical condition and mindset” of this group of players before making a decision. Related News Rookies expect Cam Reddish, not Zion Williamson, to have best NBA career of 2019 classlast_img read more

Read More