Death threats made against editor of independent TV

first_img News KyrgyzstanEurope – Central Asia RSF is concerned about the fate of an Uzbek journalist extradited by Kyrgyzstan August 26, 2020 Find out more RSF asks authorities, opposition to guarantee reporters’ safety during Kyrgyzstan protests October 9, 2020 Find out more August 14, 2020 Find out more KyrgyzstanEurope – Central Asia RSF_en News to go furthercenter_img RSF calls for the immediate release of Uzbek journalist News Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts April 28, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Death threats made against editor of independent TV News Organisation Reporters Without Borders called on the government to track down whoever was behind death threats made against Yelina Cherniavskaya, director and editor of Kyrgyzstan’s oldest independent TV station, Pyramid TV.The editor received an anonymous phone call on the evening of 25 April 2006 threatening to kill her unless she changed her editorial line. “Shut up or get ready to die”, said the voice. She later received a text message containing a similar threat.“This attempt at intimidation, wherever it comes from, demonstrates yet again the risks run by the independent media in this country,” the press freedom organisation said. “We urge the Kyrgyzstan government to follow the professional lead in their inquiries and to find whoever is behind these threats, but also to protect Yelina Cherniavskaya and the staff of Pyramid TV, who have been victims of harassment on several previous occasions,” it said.Yelina Cherniavskaya lodged a complaint with the police and also demanded protection. Police were immediately deployed around the offices and her home.She told Reporters Without Borders she was convinced the threats were linked to her work and the TV station’s broadcasting of a statement from opposition parties, exposing a dispute between Pyramid TV and people close to ousted head of state, Askar Akayev, who have unilaterally appropriated half the stock in the channel.The district police chief, and the deputy interior minister, both put in charge of the investigation, said they have traced the phone number of the caller who made the threats.The TV station was raided by a 20-strong gang, on 10 December 2005, who tried to hold editorial staff hostage within the building by blocking the exits and breaking doors and windows. A parliamentary committee was appointed to investigate the incident, as a result of public pressure, but no conclusions have been made public. Follow the news on Kyrgyzstanlast_img read more

Read More

Broadway’s Reed Kelly Will Appear on Next Season of Survivor

first_img Kelly’s Broadway credits include Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, The Addams Family and Wicked. Earlier this year, he appeared in City Center Encores!’ presentation of Little Me. Canfield was seen off-Broadway in Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. Kelly’s name appeared on gossip sites back in 2010, when he and Broadway/American Idol alum Clay Aiken split, which was confirmed by a change in MySpace status. Oh, how we miss those MySpace days. Kelly is not the first Spider-Man alum to hit the reality competition TV circuit. In 2010, Jonathan Schwartz, currently in Aladdin, competed on CBS’ The Amazing Race. He, alongside college friend Connor Diemand-Yauman, were eliminated after the fourth round. We’d form an alliance with him, but we’re a bit biased. Broadway alum Reed Kelly has joined Survivor: San Juan del Sur—Blood vs. Water, Entertainment Weekly reports. The 29th incarnation of the CBS series will premiere on September 24. Kelly will be paired on the show with his boyfriend, off-Broadway alum Josh Canfield. View Commentslast_img read more

Read More

“There’s only one reason why I’m back in Brazil” – Ronaldinho

first_imgFC Barcelona and AC Milan legend, Ronaldinho has explained why he returned to Brazil and joined Fluminense, as he he received a hero’s’ welcome infront of 45.000 fans.The 35-year-old spent last season with Queretaro but has now joined Fluminense after his contract with the Mexican side was terminated, and the Brazilian was unveiled by his new club on Sunday.”If I could be on the field today, I would. It proves my desire to make history in this club,” he said at his unveiling.”What motivated me is a title that I don’t have, Brazilian championship. It motivates me a lot.“It is a great club with great players, we have everything to be champions.”It’s good to return for a big club. I’m very happy and motivated. “I wanted to play after seeing the stadium (Maracana) and the fans with all their support.“My legs are trembling with desire to play. On July 27th, I start preparations.”Ronaldinho had been linked with a couple of clubs – among them Samuel Eto’o’s new side in Turkey – but decided to return to Brazil, as he strives to win the Brazilian championship for the first time in his career.”It’s my brother that talks to clubs,” he added.“I talked with other players here in Fluminense to find out how everything is here, it motivated me. The rest I leave with my brother. “Fred told me about life at the club and living in Rio – I hope we can be successful together.”Ronaldinho has played for Gremio, Flamengo and Atletico Mineiro in Brazil but has so far failed to add the Campeonato Brasilieiro title to his illustrious trophy cabinet which includes a World Cup, Club World Cup, Uefa Champions League, every major Spanish trophy, Serie A and more.–Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmith. Get more updates on Facebook/Twitter with the #JoySports hashtaglast_img read more

Read More

Amid pandemic, Trump administration asks Supreme Court to overturn Obamacare

first_imgJPecha/iStockBy DEVIN DWYER, ABC News(WASHINGTON) — In the midst of a pandemic and without an alternative health plan of its own, the Trump administration formally called on the U.S. Supreme Court to completely strike down the Affordable Care Act.The administration makes the case in a legal brief filed Thursday in the case brought by 20 Republican-led states that want to completely invalidate the law. The justices will hear oral arguments as soon as October, which is just weeks before the general election.Two lower federal courts have ruled that the ACA’s individual mandate is unconstitutional after the GOP Congress in 2017 zeroed out the penalty for going without health insurance. Both courts called into question the viability of the entire law without the mandate.“The individual mandate cannot be severed from the remainder of the ACA,” writes Trump solicitor general Noel Francisco. “The entire ACA thus must fall with the individual mandate.”California and 19 other Democrat-led states are defending the law.Former Vice President Joe Biden defended Obamacare Thursday at a campaign stop focused on health care, saying doing away with the ACA during a pandemic could be particularly harmful to many that need health care the most.“I think it’s cruel. It’s heartless. It’s callous. And it’s all because, in my view, he can’t abide the thought of letting stand on one of President Obama’s greatest achievements, the Affordable Care Act,” Biden said of the administrations’ lawsuit.Biden warned those who have survived COVID-19 and have subsequent health issues could be especially at-risk.“They would live their lives caught in a vise between Donald Trump’s twin legacies: his failure to protect the American people from the coronavirus and his heartless crusade to take health care protections away from American families,” Biden said.The ACA has sharply reduced the number of uninsured Americans since 2010, covering 20 million more people than if the law had not taken effect, according to the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation.Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi issued a statement late Thursday night, calling the Trump administration’s decision “unfathomably cruelty” to “rip away the protections and benefits of the Affordable Care Act in the middle of the coronavirus crisis.”“There is no legal justification and no moral excuse for the Trump Administration’s disastrous efforts to take away Americans’ health care,” she said.Industry groups and independent health care analysts say abruptly wiping out Obamacare would mean a highly disruptive shift in the health care of millions of Americans.An estimated 52 million Americans have preexisting health conditions that insurers could have denied coverage to under pre-ACA rules in most states, the foundation said.Preexisting condition protections and Obamacare insurance subsidies remain in place, for now, as the case continues, but could be at risk.The case marks the third time the justices will consider the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act since it was signed by President Barack Obama in 2010. Chief Justice John Roberts in 2012 famously cast the decisive vote, siding with the court’s liberal justices to uphold the law. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More