U.S. replaces bombs on Iran with a cyberattack

first_imgPresident Trump called off a bombing attack on Iran on June 20 because he was “shocked” at 150 projected casualties. He then called on the U.S. Cyber Command to conduct a series of attacks against that country. Virtual attacks on command and control systems can cause as much infrastructure damage as physical attacks but are not nearly as obvious.It is hard to believe Trump’s motivation was “humanitarian.” He has approved deadly military attacks all over the Middle East, such as the missile strikes against Syria in 2017 and 2018. His policies on refugees have led to hundreds of deaths on the U.S. Southern border.A Pentagon spokesperson said the cyber attacks were undertaken because Iran shot down a U.S. drone flying in its airspace and was responsible for attacks on tankers passing through the Strait of Hormuz.Iran pointed out that it had every right to shoot down any military aircraft violating its airspace.  It denied responsibility for the tanker attacks.Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi, Iran’s minister for information and communications technology, commented about the cyberattack on Twitter: “They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack.”He added, “Media asked if the claimed cyber attacks against Iran are true. Last year we neutralized 33 million attacks with the (national) firewall.” In 2010, the Stuxnet virus was introduced into the network of computers controlling the enrichment of uranium in Natanz, an Iranian city about 250 miles south of Tehran. Stuxnet, a very sophisticated piece of code, caused the centrifuges processing the uranium to spin out of control, while the system reported the process was working within its limits.According to security experts, Stuxnet was most likely written by a team of programmers working for either the U.S. or Israel or both. Some of its variants  have been used to attack computers controlling electrical grids.Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman, Abbas Mousavi, said Iran’s cyber defense system was strong, and Iran could legally pursue cyber aggression in international courts. Under the terms of the nuclear agreement from which Trump withdrew the U.S. in May 2018, Natanz is still allowed to process uranium.The U.S. withdrawal and re-imposition of heavy sanctions on Iran have increased tensions in the Middle East. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo recently claimed that these sanctions were driving Iran to the bargaining table. But Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that Iran would first have to see the United States rejoin the nuclear treaty and lift its new sanctions. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

Read More

Boothe addresses Pike County Republican Women

first_imgLatest Stories Email the author Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Boothe told the Republican gathering that, on that date in Wheeling, West Va., Joe McCarthy attacked President Harry Truman’s foreign policy agenda by charging that the State Department and Secretary Dean Acheson harbored traitorous Communists, 205 of them.The term McCarthyism was derived from that speech and has come to mean the use of reckless and unfair accusations in the name of suppressing political disloyalty.Boothe, laughingly, said that his words would not have such an impact. However, he did say that the actions take during the recent Legislative session will “forever change” Alabama politics. “We made sweeping changes,” Boothe told the Pike County Republican Women and their guests. “The immigration law needs some tweaking but it is one that we can work with. The cost of illegal immigration is horrendous. I have no problem with people coming into the United State but there is a right way and a wrong way. We have a process whereby people can come into our country legally. That’s the right way.”Boothe said the Legislature passed a new budget process that will take the state into the future.He said that the Legislature approved a Health Care bill that will give small business owners a 200 percent tax break on health insurance for their employees.Ethics reform was a big issue and the Legislature did away with double dipping and that bill will go into effect in 2014. Boothe said that he takes pride in the Ethics reform bill and is hopeful that it will clean up the corruption in Montgomery.“I’m a firm supporter of the late-term abortion bill that was passed that will stop the murdering of late-term babies,” he said. “I’m also pound of the tenure bill that will give local school boards and superintendents authority to fire teachers who are not doing their jobs.”Boothe said this past Legislative session has received high marks by those who evaluate such things.“I think that this was the best Legislative session that we’ve had in a long time,” he said. “We made some sweeping changes but the government can’t be all things to all people all the time. Unlike Washington, we can’t print more money.”Boothe said that, if there’s a sewage problem in a household and the sewage keeps backing up, the solution is not to take the roof off to make room for more sewage. “The solution is to get rid of the sewage.”“We’ve got some real problems in this country but we’re kicking the can down the road,” Boothe said. “But somebody’s got to deal with it.” Boothe addresses Pike County Republican Women By Jaine Treadwell Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration Sponsored Content By The Penny Hoarder Skip Print Article You Might Like Commission OKs district lines The Pike County Commission adopted a redistricting map based on the 2010 Census at its Monday meeting. The commission did… read more Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Book Nook to reopen The Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies… Published 11:00 pm Wednesday, August 24, 2011 State Rep. Alan Boothe was the guest speaker at the Pike County Republican Women’s meeting on Wednesday.Boothe “pop quizzed” the group and, if grades had been taken, there probably would have been few passing marks.If there were those who knew the significance of the date Feb. 9, 1950, no hands were raised. Around the WebDoctor: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Health VideosIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthTop 4 Methods to Get Fortnite SkinsTCGThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancellast_img read more

Read More

First Horns Rev 3 Monopiles Ready to Leave Esbjerg

first_imgThe first monopile foundations have been scheduled for shipping from the Port of Esbjerg to the site of Vattenfall’s 406MW Horns Rev 3 offshore wind farm on 9 October.The monopiles will be loaded on GeoSea’s installation vessel Innovation and shipped to the site some 29 kilometres off the coast.On the Horns Rev 3 site, the monopiles will be driven 25 to 39 metres into the seabed, according to the Port of Esbjerg.While GeoSea is in charge of installing the 49 foundations, A2SEA – now a GeoSea subsidiary – will carry out the turbine installation works with its vessel Sea Installer, scheduled to start erecting the turbines in the summer of 2018.The 49 MHI Vestas V164-8.0MW turbines, optimised at 8.3MW, will be loaded out of the port of Esbjerg.Horns Rev 3 is an extension to Horns Rev 1 and 2 offshore wind farms also installed by A2SEA in 2002 and 2009, respectively.Once commissioned in 2018, Horns Rev 3 will be the largest offshore wind farm in Danish waters.last_img read more

Read More

PH starts VFA termination: Locsin hails Duterte’s threats to end military deal with…

first_img“Karonsi Bato di nila paadtuon saAmerica. I (am) warning you this is the first time, pag hindi ninyo ginawa ang correction diyan, one, I will terminate the bases Visiting Forces Agreement. Tapusin ko ‘yang putangina,” Dutertesaid. President Duterte earlier issued awarning that he will not think twice to cancel the agreement if the US will notcorrect the matter involving Dela Rosa’s US visa. MANILA – The process for the terminationof the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the Philippines and the UnitedStates has commenced, Malacañang announced Friday. “I think the US should be concernedabout this decision of the President because its strongest ally in the regionreacting against it,” he further said./PN The US and the Philippines also inkedthe VFA and Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), which allows greaterUS troops’ access to Philippine bases and presence in the country. The Philippine government started the process of terminating its Visiting Forces Agreement with the United States upon the orders of President Rodrigo Duterte, who wanted to end the military deal after Washington canceled the visa of his former police chief, Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa. ABS-CBN NEWS The Philippines and the US are treatyallies, having signed the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty that obliges Americantroops to help defend the Philippines if it comes under attack. He added the Palace will no longer waitfor Washington’s response on Duterte’s warning to reverse the cancellation of Sen.Ronald dela Rosa’s US visa within a month. Department of Foreign Affairs SecretaryTeodoro Locsin also ordered Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana to start thetermination process. “US Ambassador Sung Kim have sought ameeting with Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to discuss the impendingtermination of VFA,” Panelo said. “I am giving notice and they begin tocount. I am giving government and the American government one month from now, mag estorya me, pahawaon ko sila sa ilang Visiting Forces Agreement,” he added. Panelo, meanwhile, explained thatPresident Duterte can scrap the VFA even without the approval of theSenate.  “Can you imagine they have the gall totell us what to do with our citizens. Eh,sobra na ‘yan kaya galit si Presidente,” he added. An attack against Philippine armedforces, public vessels or aircraft falls under its obligations in the treaty. “Because it (VFA) is an executiveagreement so he can cancel it without the approval of the Senate,” Panelo saidin an interview in Bacolod City on Friday. President Rodrigo Duterte made theorder, a day after making a threat in his speech in Leyte. “The process for terminating thesame has started. The President feels that we cannot sit down idly,” PresidentialSpokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a media briefing at the MalacañangPalace. last_img read more

Read More