Hall finds reserves of strength to crush Pembroke

first_imgThough Somerville’s first eleven captured the headlines following their 3-0 cuppers victory over pre-match favourites Wadham, the second eleven cuppers tournament proved no less exciting. Indeed, the final – played this term due to scheduling conflicts in Hilary – epitomised the dogged determination so characteristic of all 2nd XI Football. An entertaining match saw Teddy Hall emerge victorious over an organised Pembroke side who had narrowly missed out on winning the First Division. Both sides showed their passion, skill and strength in a first half that exhibited fast end to end football. For much of the period Pembroke, who benefited from the help of a not inconsiderable wind at their backs, pressed for an early score. However, a Teddy Hall break led to them gaining a corner which swirled in the wind above the Pembroke defence, and evaded the attempted clearance of the otherwise solid Bartosiak- Jentys. Teddy Hall capitalised in the scramble and swept the ball home to move in to a 1-0 lead against the run of play. They held on to the lead until the referee blew for half-time. The second half heralded a period of Pembroke domination straight from the kick off, as they sought to regain the parity they had unluckily lost. Despite repeated Pembroke attacks, the two Hall centre backs, Captain Julian Baker and Christopher Wilson, gave a commanding performance and consistently frustrated the Pembroke forward line. The excellent Teddy Hall keeper, Laurence Hargrave, was also called upon to produce some heroics – including pulling off a superb reflex save at his near post, when the ball looked to have beaten him. However, Teddy Hall were to extend their lead against the run of play for the second time. Again a corner proved the downfall of Pembroke – having only half cleared another wind affected corner Pembroke looked on haplessly as a well executed volley by Liam Kelly swept the ball sailing past goalkeeper and defenders and his side into a 2-0 lead. With a two goal advantage and time fast running out, it appeared that Hall would be able to run down the clock; but Pembroke had other ideas and immediately went on the attack. An inspired attacking substitution by the Pembroke side’s Captain Rami Tappuni saw them dispense with the niceties of defence and pile the pressure on Teddy Hall’s goal. Amid much pressure Pembroke finally did drag themselves back into the game via a neat finish following a fearsome shot which had rebounded off the Hall crossbar. At 2-1 the game, and the trophy, were up for grabs, but Pembroke’s energy sapping attempt to restore terms was to prove futile. Their commitment to seeking the equaliser allowed Teddy Hall to exploit numerous gaps in their defence. Fatal among these Hall attacking forays was a break down Pembroke’s left flank, which led to the tireless Will Hepworth applying a clinical finish to an excellent run. Though Pembroke may have felt that the 3-1 score line did not reflect how hard they had pushed their opponents, Teddy Hall lived to hear the final whistle blow and deservedly took the Cup in what was an enthralling encounter.ARCHIVE: 1st week TT 2004last_img read more

Read More