Ireland may tighten travel restrictions for COVID-19 hot spots

first_img“We’re looking at countries that may effectively become hot spots for COVID-19 in the months ahead, or indeed regions within countries, and looking at ways in which we can deal with that risk,” Coveney told national broadcaster RTE.Arrivals into Ireland from Malta, Finland, Norway, Hungary, Italy, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Greenland, Greece, Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino no longer have to restrict their movements.The selection was shorter than many other countries’ “green lists”, including British-run Northern Ireland, which shares an open land border with Ireland where no travel restrictions are imposed.While Irish travellers returning from the 15 countries will not have to quarantine either, the government took out full-page newspaper advertisements on Wednesday telling people that the safest things to do was not to travel anywhere.”The message is still clear, the safest thing to do is not to take your holidays abroad, look after your family, spend your money at home and holiday at home,” Coveney said, noting that, while travel to and from Ireland was at around 7-8% of its usual level, 50,000 Irish people were still travelling abroad a week.  Ireland may introduce further travel restrictions for countries with a very high instance of COVID-19, Foreign Minister Simon Coveney said on Wednesday after the government lifted its 14-day quarantine requirement for 15 European countries.Ireland, which has one of the lower rates of infection in the European Union with around 5 cases per 100,000 people in the past 14 days, decided late on Tuesday to drop the restriction for people coming from countries with a similar or lower rate.Coveney said the government would turn its attention in the coming weeks to whether it should introduce steps beyond the 14-day quarantine from areas hardest hit, including a potential requirement to take a coronavirus test before departure. Topics :last_img read more

Read More

Cosmetic surgery ‘popularity falls’

first_img Share Tweet Share HealthLifestyle Cosmetic surgery ‘popularity falls’ by: By James GallagherHealth editor, BBC News website – January 29, 2015 151 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Sharing is caring! The popularity of cosmetic surgery in the UK plummeted in 2014, figures show.The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (Baaps) said there had been 45,406 surgical procedures last year – down 9% from 50,122 in 2013.Breast implants and nose jobs led the decline with operations falling by nearly a quarter.The industry has been under intense scrutiny since a breast implant scandal and there have been calls for new rules on doctors offering surgery.The top 10 procedures last year were:Breast augmentation – down 23% to 8,619Eyelid surgery – down 1% to 7,752Face and neck lifts – up 1% to 6,402Breast reduction – up 1% to 5,528Liposuction – up 7% to 4,627Nose jobs – down 24% to 3,690Fat transfer operations – down 4% to 3,155Tummy tucks – down 20% to 2,713Brow lifts – down 7% to 1,978Ear corrections – down 20% to 942Breast enlargement is again the most common procedure among women, but eyelid surgery has overtaken nose jobs to be the most common operation in men.Rajiv Grover, a consultant plastic surgeon and Baaps spokesman, said the PIP breast implant scandal from 2012 may partly explain the downward trend.Thousands of women were fitted with substandard breast implants made by the French firm Poly Implant Prothese (PIP).He told the BBC: “Last year’s figures [for 2013] were inflated by the 2012 PIP crisis and a large number of people needed to have implants replaced.“So breast augmentation figures went up artificially because of the large number of replacements.”He added that the end of the recession would have had an impact too.“Cosmetic surgery is not a requirement, it is a desire, so during a number of years of austerity people will have put that on hold for a few years and save money.”He said there was a “boom” in 2013 as people started spending again, but that was immediately followed by a slowdown.Looking at longer-term trends, Baaps says demand for operations has plateaued or is rising slowly after years of rapid growth up to 2008.On Friday, the Royal College of Surgeons said doctors should be prevented from performing cosmetic surgery outside their speciality.It told the BBC the current rules allowed “GPs to do nose jobs” and that was “a big problem” for patients.It wants a new system of certified surgeons who have to prove they are able to perform procedures.last_img read more

Read More

Porto thrash Basel to reach quarters

first_imgPorto reached the Champions League last eight for the first time since 2009 with a comprehensive win over Basel.The Portuguese side were without top scorer Jackson Martinez, but they struck four fine goals as Yacine Brahimi curled in a 20-yard free-kick.Hector Herrera doubled the lead before Casemiro thundered in a free-kick.Vincent Aboubakar then added a fourth late on before Walter Samuel saw red as Porto extended their unbeaten run in this competition to 10 games.The 2004 Champions League winners were rarely troubled by the Swiss side, who qualified from their group at Liverpool’s expense.And although many big European teams will see Porto as a good team to draw in the quarter-finals, they have gained a great deal of momentum under Spanish coach Julen Lopetegui. Basel, who were hoping to reach the last eight for the first time since 1974, never looked like doing so on a miserable night for their Portuguese coach Paulo Sousa.Paulo Sousa’s side were attempting to reach the last eight for the first time since 1974Porto established control early on through Brahimi’s finish, after veteran Argentine defender Samuel brought down Cristian Tello.And their biggest concern in the first half was when goalkeeper Fabiano sprinted from his line to intercept a through ball and accidently smashed his shoulder into the face of his own stand-in captain Danilo. At one point it looked very serious for the Brazilian defender, who was quickly surrounded by medics, but he appeared to be conscious as he was carried off the field on a stretcher and the club later tweeted to say there was no serious injury.Porto did not appear to be missing their regular skipper Martinez, who was out with a groin injury. His replacement, Cameroonian Aboubakar, deputised ably and almost made it 2-0 with a swerving shot from 25 yards.Basel seldom threatened the Porto goal, with Marco Streller curling over the top when well-placed and Shkelzen Gashi hitting a shot wide of the post despite having more time to compose himself.Porto tweeted after the game to say stand-in captain Danilo was recovering well in hospital Former QPR, Swansea and Leicester manager Sousa then watched his side go further behind when the Basel defence backed off, allowing Herrera to beat Tomas Vaclik.By that stage, the game seemed over, and yet there was still time for Brazilian midfielder Casemiro, on loan from Real Madrid, to crash in his free-kick from 30 yards.Aboubakar, 23, wrapped up an almost-perfect Porto display with another superb strike and Basel suffered a final embarrassment when Samuel received a second yellow card for a foul on the striker.Porto boss Julen Lopetegui: “Danilo’s situation was dramatic but he recovered consciousness on his way to hospital and appears to be OK. This victory is also for him.”You have to applaud the entire team for this fantastic performance against a very difficult opponent who came here determined to qualify. We deserve to be in the Champions League quarter-finals even if we came through qualifying. I am very happy and very proud of my players who showed a lot of character.” Basel head coach Paulo Sousa: “I am disappointed with the result but proud of our campaign in the Champions League. We were not at our best, they were better at both ends.”Porto have a lot of quality. We couldn’t be at our best in either match, we were not the same as in October, November and December – if we had been, this result would not have happened.”last_img read more

Read More