Hawthorne under pressure at St Jago

first_imgHawthorne under pressure at St Jago… Axe looms for veteran as Wolmer’s also parts company with entire staffFollowing the recent restructuring of the Wolmer’s Boys School track and field programme, another high profile high school coaching job is reportedly on the line.Christopher Harley is the first major casualty following last month’s ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships, with the team’s uninspiring performances said to have upset several influential members of the school’s support.As a result, Harley, who took over as head coach in 2012, along with his entire coaching staff, was shown the door at the Heroes Circle – based school earlier this week.The Wolmer’s programme will reportedly be overseen by past student and patron Stephen Francis, who runs the powerful MVP Track Club.Harley may have some company soon, with sources telling The Gleaner that long-time St Jago High school boys team coach Danny Hawthorne may also soon find himself on the sidelines, with a large section of the Monk Street-based school’s past student body pushing for a new direction.Hawthorne, a veteran, who has guided the likes of Yohan Blake and Nickeal Ashmeade over the years is under immense pressure as he is, according to several sources, seen by some of the programme’s backers to be incapable of guiding the school to a championship.St Jago’s boys finished in fourth position at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships, 112.5 points behind winners Calabar, with Wolmer’s – winners in 2010 under David Riley’s leadership, finished 10th this time around after managing 50 points.St Jago’s last boys’ title came in 1993.The Gleaner tried to get in contact with both coaches but was unsuccessful.last_img read more

Read More

Right-on speculator foresees market plunge

first_imgPaul Tudor Jones II leans back in his chair and grins. The stock market is going to crash, and he knows it. “There will be some type of a decline, without a question, in the next 10, 20 months,” he says in his rich Memphis drawl. “And it will be earth-shaking; it will be saber-rattling.” Coming from a financial speculator as prominent as Jones, a man with about $19 billion of short-term trading capital at his disposal, the words might be enough to send ripples through a stock market that, apparently defying logic, has been hitting new highs each day. Except that the crash to which Jones refers occurred Oct. 19, 1987. His prognostication – brazen, and as impudent as the man himself – was made in a documentary called “Trader,” which was filmed in the year preceding that day. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Now, 20 years after the 508-point decline, several strategists are anticipating that the Earth will shake again. Valuations are stretched beyond historical comparisons. The market, ever more volatile, is reaching new highs, ignoring a buildup of bad news. Most crucially, the strategists say, the sentiment that the market’s rise is infinite seems to have taken permanent hold. “The overvaluation of stocks is more extreme than the 1929 high,” said Robert R. Prechter Jr., an independent market forecaster in Gainesville, Ga., and a well-known follower of Elliott Wave theory, which examines the extent to which investor psychology creates stock market patterns. “Which tells me the next bear market will be the biggest in many years, probably since 1929-32.” At the end of the day Oct. 19, 1987, stocks were down 22 percent – precisely the “Acapulco cliff dive” predicted by Jones in the video. The day ruined the careers of many, but it made the reputations of Jones and Prechter, whose professional relationship dates to the mid-1980s. Now, Prechter is suggesting that the country is facing not just a market crash, but also a depression. On every measure, he says, the market is more overvalued than it was in 1987 before the reversal. The price-to-book ratio of the S&P 500-stock index today is 4.04, compared with 1.73 in 1987. And measures of the bullishness of Wall Street traders confirm Prechter’s assessment of the overvaluation. To be sure, the one feature of every long-running bull market is the small clutch of market pessimists whose clamor that the end is nigh seems to rise in pitch with each successive peak. But Prechter’s gloominess may resonate, especially in light of Jones’ high regard for him. “Prechter is the best because he is the ultimate market opportunist,” Jones said in the book “Market Wizards,” a collection of interviews with successful traders compiled by Jack D. Schwager. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More

Gardaí urge motorists to drive safely ahead busy of Bank Holiday weekend

first_imgThis October Bank Holiday period the An Garda Síochána is appealing to all road users to take extra care when using the roads.This bank holiday weekend Gardaí will carry out high visibility patrols and checkpoints across the roads network and are appealing to motorists not to drive under the influence of an intoxicant and to reduce speed.This weekend’s enforcement activities will specifically target and focus on off-peak hours (10pm to 6am) where recent studies have shown that 75% of fatalities were found to return positive toxicology results for alcohol. Speaking at yesterday’s media briefing Chief Superintendent Paul Cleary said: “This bank holiday weekend we want to keep people safe on our roads. Gardaí will be out in force with high visibility patrols and checkpoints and we would be appealing to people not to drive under the influence of an intoxicant or in excess of the speed limit.“Our enforcement activity this weekend will be data-driven and is based on research. We are working closely with our partners in the RSA to ensure people are safe.”Gardaí remind motorists to slow down, allow adequate time for their journey and to be mindful of the prevailing weather conditions. Always ensure drivers and passengers, both front and rear, wear their seatbelts.“Never ever drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and never use a mobile phone while driving.” Gardaí urge motorists to drive safely ahead busy of Bank Holiday weekend was last modified: October 25th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bank HolidayGardailast_img read more

Read More

High-level ministerial committee to tackle migration issues

first_imgOn Tuesday 21 April South African President Jacob Zuma convened the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Migration, instructing members on what they need to do to promote orderly and efficient migration as well as peaceful coexistence between citizens and non-South Africans.The IMC is tasked with ensuring all aspects of migration are handled efficiently, including the social, economic and security aspects.The IMC will also address concerns South Africans have raised about migration, while also taking care of the wellbeing of all immigrants in the country, from all continents.Zuma has expanded the membership of the IMC by including the Departments of Small Business Development, Trade and Industry and Human Settlements. He has also appointed the Minister of Police as deputy chairperson of the IMC.The full membership of the IMC is now as follows:1. Minister in the Presidency: Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation as Chairperson2. Minister of Police, Deputy Chairperson3. Minister of Home Affairs4. Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs5. Minister of International Relations and Cooperation6. Minister of Defence and Military Veterans7. Minister of Social Development8. Minister of Health9. Minister of Basic Education10. Minister of State Security11. Minister of Justice and Correctional Services12. Minister of Small Business Development13. Minister of Trade and Industry14. Minister of Human SettlementsEnquiries: Ms Phumla Williams on 083 501 0139Issued by: the PresidencyPretoriaWebsite: www.thepresidency.gov.zaOperation Phakisa: www.operationphakisa.gov.zalast_img read more

Read More

Westbrook’s 3-pointer at buzzer lifts Thunder past Kings

first_imgGoogle honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosa Read Next Westbrook, who notched his 18th triple-double of the season, made three free throws sandwiched around a bucket in the paint by Steven Adams to put Oklahoma City up 107-105.Justin Jackson’s 6-foot jumper off an offensive rebound tied the game. After a timeout, the Thunder got the ball in front of Sacramento’s bench and Carmelo Anthony found Westbrook atop the 3-point line for the winner.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWestbrook lifted the Thunder from what would have been a devastating loss after a fast start in their first game since the All-Star break. They set a season high with 44 points in the first quarter and made 12 3-pointers but still had to rally in the final minutes to win.Anthony matched his season high of seven 3-pointers and Paul George had three from beyond the arc, ending his five-game streak with five or more 3s. It was the second-longest streak in NBA history behind George McCloud’s six-game streak in 1996. Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook reacts after hitting a 3-point shot at the buzzer against the Sacramento Kings in an NBA basketball game in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018. The Thunder won 110-107. (AP Photo/Steve Yeater)SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Russell Westbrook made a 3-pointer as time expired, lifting the Oklahoma City Thunder to a 110-107 victory over the Sacramento Kings on Thursday night.The Thunder blew a 23-point lead and trailed 105-102 with 4 ½ minutes remaining before closing the game on an 8-2 run.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. AFP official booed out of forum Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving LOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexico Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus Ricky Vargas beats Peping Cojuangco for POC presidency Thunder: After scoring 44 points in the first quarter, the Thunder totaled just 41 over the next two periods.UP NEXTThunder: At Golden State on Saturday.Kings: Host the Lakers on Saturday. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding The Thunder shot nearly 70 percent in the first quarter and made seven 3s, including three straight by Anthony. George had two of them and added a three-point play and two free throws to put Oklahoma City up 44-21.It was the complete opposite for Billy Donovan’s club after that.Sacramento went on a pair of big runs early in the second quarter and got within 64-60 before Anthony’s fifth 3 of the first half briefly halted the onslaught and put Oklahoma City up by seven at halftime.The Thunder led 85-74 midway through the third before the Kings made another surge. Vince Carter, the 41-year-old former dunk champion, had a three-point play and 3-pointer and Sacramento scored the final 16 points of the period to go up 90-85.TIP-INSKings: Frank Mason scored six points in his first game since Dec. 31. Mason had been sidelined with a partially torn right facscia. . De’Aaron Fox (conjunctiveitis) and Kosta Koufos (ill) were held out.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READlast_img read more

Read More

Rockets wait to see if they’ll get shot at Warriors

first_imgMOST READ Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. F2 Logistics sets up PSL Grand Prix finals showdown vs Petron But the Rockets will have to wait to see if they’ll get that shot at the Warriors after they failed to close out their series with the Clippers on Wednesday night, as Los Angeles won 129-121 to force Game 6.Houston has been eliminated by the Warriors in the postseason in three of the last four seasons, including twice in the Western Conference finals. The Rockets took a 3-2 lead over Golden State in the conference finals last year before dropping the final two games with Paul out with a hamstring injury.“If they come out of it, it’s going to be a great series,” coach Mike D’Antoni said. “We said all year: ‘Let’s run it back.’ Well, OK. I guess we’re going to run it back.”Houston took a 3-0 lead in their first-round series against the Jazz before missing all 13 of their 3-point attempts in the fourth quarter of a Game 4 loss in Utah. The Rockets weren’t particularly sharp on offense in their 100-93 win that closed out the series on Wednesday night, but they were proud of their defense.Ricky Rubio cut Houston’s lead to 94-93 on a jump shot with about a minute left. Tucker missed two free throws, but grabbed a loose ball seconds later and was fouled again. This time he made both shots to make it 96-93.ADVERTISEMENT Houston Rockets guard James Harden (13) reacts to an official’s call during the first half in Game 5 of an NBA basketball playoff series against the Utah Jazz, in Houston, Wednesday, April 24, 2019. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)HOUSTON — Minutes after the Houston Rockets eliminated the Utah Jazz to advance to the Western Conference semifinals for the third straight season they were already looking ahead to the possibility of getting another shot at the Golden State Warriors.“That’s what I want,” center Clint Capela said. “I want to face them.”ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated View comments SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess James Harden blocked a shot by Ruby Gobert on Utah’s next possession and he made two free throws to extend the lead to 98-93 with 38 seconds left.Donovan Mitchell missed a 3-pointer after that and Paul added two more free throws to secure the victory.“We missed some easy shots, turned the ball over and they got going,” P.J. Tucker said. “But in the second half, we finally got stops to get the win.”If the Rockets hope to finally reach the NBA Finals this season, they know that they’ll have to continue to play good defense.“That’s what’s going to get us to our goal,” Harden said. “Obviously the shot making is extra, that’s a bonus. But if we’re guarding like we’ve been guarding and knocking down our shots, it’s going to be pretty tough.”Harden averaged 27.8 points in the first round, but he struggled at times to get going offensively. His worst game of the series came in Game 3 when Houston won despite him missing his first 15 shots to set an NBA record for most misses to start a playoff game.D’Antoni brushed off a question about if he had any concern about Harden’s efficiency after he led the team with 26 points, despite starting his night 1 for 11.“He’s so good that when he’s normal everybody’s like what’s wrong,” D’Antoni said. “He’s going to hit his stride. I don’t care what they do, he’ll figure it out … he could go 0 for 30 10 days in a row and it won’t matter. He still is who he is.” Veteran Chris Paul slightly scolded the 24-year-old for acknowledging that this is the matchup Houston has been looking forward to all season.“That’s going to be all over (the internet),” Paul said, shaking his head.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsBut Paul couldn’t deny that the Rockets are well aware that the Warriors have been the biggest roadblock to them vying for their first title in more than 20 years.“Real talk, in order to get to where you want to get to, you have to go through them,” he said. “They’re the reigning champs. They’ve been running the West for five years straight now.” Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power gridlast_img read more

Read More

Darren Sammy hopes World T20 glory will spur Test success for West Indies

first_imgWest Indies captain Darren Sammy hopes their Test team will get inspiration from Sunday’s World Twenty20 triumph and climb up the rankings in the longest format of the game. (West Indies board pulls up Darren Sammy for post-win comments ) The all-rounder led the Caribbean side to their second World T20 title in the last three editions as they beat 2010 champions England by four wickets thanks to a remarkable four successive sixes from Carlos Brathwaite at Eden Gardens.But the West Indies Test side, who ruled the format for 15 years until the 1980s, languish eighth out of 10 in the world.”We get lot of stick where we go because of the way we play Test cricket,” Sammy told reporters, with the trophy glittering in front of him. “T20 and Tests are totally different formats and you can’t compare the two. We are very good in T20 cricket.”The fact is that we haven’t been able to play a brand of Test cricket that allows us to win.”They (the Test team) could take inspiration from the way we play T20. Hopefully, this win can inspire our Test cricketers to be better.”West Indies had a tumultuous build-up to the tournament with the players busy sorting out a contractual dispute with their board just weeks ahead of the start and they did not play a single international T20 in 2016 before arriving in India. (BCCI gives us more support than WICB, says Dwayne Bravo ) The players drew a lot of flak for their threats to boycott the tournament and few observers gave them a chance of finishing as champions. Sammy said the players were very focused and aware that winning the title was the only way to answer their critics.advertisement”This means a lot. Not only for us as a team but for our fans all over the world and the cricket in the region,” Sammy said, adding that he was not sure when he would be back in the West Indies dressing room again.”I don’t see a T20 schedule for this year so this tournament meant a lot.”This T20 team brings smiles across the faces of all the Caribbean fans. We entertain and that is what we will continue to do.”last_img read more

Read More