UN refugee agency assisting Syrians displaced by fighting in AlQusair

The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNCHR) said that since the fighting intensified in Al-Qusair three weeks ago, at least 700 families – or some 3,500 people – have arrived to Hasiya, a small nearby town with a population of 16,000.UNCHR and its partners visited Hasiya earlier this week to assess the situation and needs of those displaced, and during the visit the agency also delivered essential relief items such as blankets and mattresses to 500 families.“The needs […] remain huge, and UNHCR is currently looking at how we can deliver additional items to cover the needs of these new arrivals,” UNHCR spokesperson Dan McNorton told reporters in Geneva.“The families we spoke to told us they urgently need milk, diapers, medical supplies and adequate shelter. Water to the town is also in short supply and insufficient for the swelling population,” he said, adding that most of the population there depends on water trucked in once a week by the Syrian Arab Red Crescent.“Due to the poor sanitation and hygiene conditions in which people were living, many, especially children, were suffering from diarrhoea, respiratory problems, high fevers, ear infections and skin diseases,” he said.The displaced families have been staying in three schools and an unfinished building, as well as in tents donated by locals. During the assessment visit, UNHCR identified a building that could act as a safe location to host displaced families and to deliver additional essential items such as mattresses, sleeping mats, blankets, kitchen sets, plastic sheets and hygiene items. Since March 2011, fighting between the Syrian Government and opposition forces seeking to oust President Bashar Al-Assad has killed more than 70,000 people, and left 6.8 million people in need. In addition, the UN estimates that some 1.5 million Syrians have fled their country to escape conflict. read more

Read More

St Leonards shooting Man 35 arrested on suspicion of murdering a mother

first_imgPolice sealed off the sceneCredit:Gareth Fuller/PA Forensics in white boiler suits and face masks worked into the night on Friday and Saturday to gather evidence from the three bedroom property behind a cordon that forced an estimated 30 families temporarily removed from their homes.Chief Superintendent Jason Taylor said: “Officers responded immediately to reports of a shooting shortly before 7:45pm.”Two women died at the scene.”Two other women, who were also at the house, were led to safety and were taken to hospital for shock.”They are being supported by specially trained officers.”A 35-year-old man, who was known to the victims, was arrested on suspicion of murder and taken into custody where he remains.”A firearm has been recovered.”Officers from the Surrey and Sussex Major Incident Team are leading the investigation, supported by local policing teams.”We are not looking for anyone else in connection with the murders but are appealing for witnesses to contact us. Police at the scene where two women were shot dead at a house in St Leonards, East Sussex  The scene of the St Leonards shooting  Police said the attack was “not a random act” and said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the double killing.Locals described seeing armed police arrive at the scene in a 4×4, Officers clutching firearms shouted at passersby “your life is at risk”.James Butler said: “All of a sudden, police officers were shouting ‘get back, get back, your life is at risk, do not come past, turn around’.”There were police officers with guns and torches shining the light into nearby houses.”A couple of minutes later, a lady came over and asked what was going on. She was visibly taken aback by the situation, and seemed quite scared. A firearm was recovered by forensics from the sceneCredit: EDDIE MITCHELL / DAN JESSUPcenter_img “Bexhill Road remains closed at this time, and while this investigation continues I would like to thank the community for their patience.”Home Secretary and local MP Amber Rudd tweeted her condolences for the family and said:  “My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the victims in last night’s tragic shooting incident in Bexhill Road.”I’ve spoken to the police chief and want to commend the swift actions of the police and other emergency services in responding to this incident.”I’d like to reassure residents that as the police have said, they’ve already arrested someone in connection with this tragedy.”There’s a great community spirit amongst residents of West St. Leonards which I know will continue, helping the families and friends of the victims.” “The next thing she said to me was ‘I’m going inside, I’m not staying out here, it’s not safe’.”Another neighbour who lives at the end of the street said: “I’ve lived here 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like this before.“I was just watching a film when I saw police with machine guns running past the window.” Police are questioning a 35-year-old man on suspicion of murder after a mother and daughter were shot dead in a seaside town.The two women, aged 53 and 32, were killed inside a semi-detached home in St Leonards, East Sussex, on Friday night.Two other women, including one who is pregnant, were led to safety by officers and were treated at hospital for shock.Officers were called to the house at 7.43pm on Friday. The suspect, who police said was known to the victims, was discovered hiding in a railway underpass near the house two hours later.Forensics later recovered a firearm from the scene. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

Read More